No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

by Houndstooth on

Before you start reading this story, I feel compelled to warn you that it may be a bit on the long side and that you may want to set aside anything you might be drinking.  Sometimes I appreciate knowing these sorts of things.  Don’t say that you haven’t been warned.

I mentioned that last week the girls and I were home alone while Mr. Taleteller and Küster were away at training.  By the end of the week, we were feeling pretty good about our chances of surviving while the boys were gone.  No major disaster had befallen us.  I’d done a pretty good job of managing Flattery and her late night restlessness and we were even getting daily walks in.  Morgan was also pretty grounded and calm through the week.  Thursday night was our regular nursing home visit and I was feeling pretty energetic.

Ready to Volunteer -- Tales and Tails

Ready to Volunteer

I hurried home, full of a sense of purpose.  I let the girls out, got them all fed, brushed Bunny and Flattery’s teeth, sprayed them with White Dalmations cologne, quickly posed Flattery for my daily photo and loaded the two little divas into the car.  On the way there, I got a message from the other lady that still visits with us that she was sick and staying home.  That made me even happier that I’d decided to load the girls up and take them over.  We had a really nice visit, too.  I took Flattery along with me because she tends to get into mischief when I take just Bunny and the crate that I normally put her in was in Tennessee with the boys, but she really did a wonderful job visiting.  She has a great knack with people and she proved it Thursday night, definitely earning her place on Team Greyhound.

We left the nursing home and I was feeling the warm glow that comes from doing good deeds and getting over your ennui to get something accomplished.  I decided to celebrate with a strawberry banana smoothie and then we headed home.  It’s about a forty minute drive from our house to the town where we visit, but it was beautiful weather and we had the moon roof cover open so we could bask in the last rays of the sun.  Life was good.

Then, as I drove down the interstate, the light came on that signals low tire pressure.  I wasn’t too worried because I knew that one of them sometimes gets a little low.  However, soon after that a distinctly bad sound began and I pulled over to the side of the road.  I figured I was just being paranoid and a quick survey would assure me that there was nothing to impede our progress home.  The front driver’s side tire was good, as well as the back.  I went on around and the back passenger tire was good, too.  Then I got to the front passenger tire and my heart sank.  That thing was flatter than a fritter.  There was going to be no carefully moving it down the road.  We were stuck where we were and I grumbled and got in the car to think over my options.

My dad didn’t raise some helpless miss as a daughter.  He made sure my sister and I had lessons on how to do certain things with the car so that we wouldn’t be totally high and dry if something happened to us.  However, I’ve been sick and a call to Mr. Taleteller to try to get instructions on how to get the spare off the back left me informed that the front tire was “airbolted on and you’ll never get it off.”  At that point, he became a chatty Cathy, telling me all about his great day and how Küster was finally a certified search and rescue dog.  I wanted to be more enthusiastic, but I was trying to think of a way out of my predicament.

Posing by the Car -- Tales and Tails

Posing by the Car

stewed over my options.  My husband was seven hours away, I had the girls in the car with me without any jackets and it was getting chilly, my dad has Parkinson’s and wouldn’t be able to help me if I called him and I had Flattery in the very back of the car where I needed to access the tools to change the tire and get to the spare.  I considered walking to the nearest exit, but that turned out to be to the tiny village of Kappa.  Kappa is famous for having a population of twelve people and five operating strip clubs.  I need to raise money to get to Vegas, but that wasn’t something I wanted a part of, and it’s not exactly close to the exit, either.  Aside from that, I’m pretty sure people would prefer to pay me to keep my clothes on.  I sat there feeling mad that my husband had refused to set up the three free months of OnStar service that came with the car before I sucked it up and called my stepdad to come and help me.

My stepdad lives an hour and a half away, so I decided to settle in for the duration and wait for help to arrive.  I realized that I was going to have to get Flattery out of the back cargo area and into the back seat with Bunny.  I figured I’d better do it sooner rather than later so I could do it in my own time.  I’m not going to lie to you, the thought of getting her out of the back on the side of a busy interstate in the dark was extremely scary.  Fortunately, she’s been trained to go to one particular corner and wait until she’s told “okay” before she jumps out of the back.  I waited for a lull in traffic and then I made my move.  In less than a minute, she was leashed and walked over to get into the back seat with Bunny.  Bunny wasn’t thrilled about sharing her space with Flattery, who seems to be allergic to laying down for long periods of time, but she moved over and let her in.

Having that little mission accomplished, I settled into my seat with the iPad and waited.  I chatted with a few online friends on my phone and tried to wait patiently.  That’s not my strong suit, but I think I managed it okay.  Of course, after the call to the cavalry, a police car stopped behind me to check on me.  He offered to call a tow truck for me, but I could just imagine my husband’s complaints over that bill, so I politely declined and he promised to drive by later to make sure I was still okay.

An Official Volunteer -- Tales and Tails

An Official Volunteer

Finally, my stepdad arrived, with his wonderful hydraulic jack and got to work on taking the flat tire off.  That wasn’t too bad, but getting the spare unlocked proved to be a challenge.  I looked for the book about the car, but I had a sinking feeling it wasn’t in there.  Another call to my husband concluded this and I tried to explain that we needed to figure out how to get the spare off the cable in the back.  Fortunately, he was able to look it up online and found out that there is a trick to get the tire unlocked.

Finally, the doughnut tire was in place, the spare was in the trunk and we were on our way home with my stepdad and mom following us in their truck.  I drove home on the interstate at old lady speed, and I was relieved when we finally got to the turn off to the less traveled country roads that would take us home.  We managed to get home around 10:30, which was earlier than I was expecting to get there when the flat was discovered at 7:00.

I am a homebody by nature, but I can tell you that there have been few times when I was so happy to pull into my own driveway.  I did not get out of the car and kiss the ground, but I thought about it.  I’m also really thankful that I have family willing to help me out in a pinch.  The girls were calm and easygoing while we sat to wait for the most part, and Bunny tolerated Flattery’s restlessness without any grumbling.  Morgan was patient inside, too, waiting for us to get in without raising a royal ruckus.

Looking back, I’m still glad that we went and did our nursing home visit.  It’s not just because the girls made a lot of people happy.  It was also nice for me to feel the love and concern from people who care about me and were concerned for my well-being.  The girls had no idea that we were in any kind of danger and I’m glad for that.  As the human in the situation, though, I was very aware of the fact.  Having my stepdad come and get me and Mr. Taleteller being concerned, along with a lot of good wishes from friends on Facebook definitely made me feel valued for who I am, though.  That’s a feeling we all should get from time to time.  It’s great when our dogs look at us as if the universe centers on us, but it’s also nice to feel the love from other humans at times, too.  I’m thankful that every once in a while, the universe reminds us of how lucky we are.  Oh, and to add insult to injury, I got another reminder card in the mail the next day to set up my free OnStar service.  I now have my three free months started.  I’m pretty sure this guarantees that I will have no car trouble for the next three months.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
21 Responses to "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
  1. So glad everything worked out safely and that you have a great network of people to help you. I did giggle over Mr. Taleteller becoming ‘chatty Cathy’ – but only because my hubby does that, too! Nice to hear that the police officer said he’d come back to make sure everything was okay. 🙂

  2. Patty says:

    Sounds like you need AAA or Good Sam’s Club. They have saved us more than once. Glad it all turned out and you made it home safely. 🙂

  3. Michelle Day says:

    I splurged and got a AAA membership last year. In my “mature” age I suddenly started getting nervous about being stranded with one or more hounds in the van. Glad things worked out for you though!

  4. Lori - What Remains Now says:

    So glad that you all were okay. This is a good reminder to me. I’ve been meaning to sign up for roadside assistance.

  5. Reilly & Denny Cowspotdogs says:

    we too have AAA – not that is does us any good as they don’t operate in our area. I must admit it one of me fears – having arthritis in my hands so there in no way I can change a tire and I know a whole one person in the the USA – my hubby. Makes life interesting though 🙂

  6. Sue Dyer says:

    So glad it all worked out ok. I had more than my share of breakdowns before the age of mobile phones. More than once I had to walk up to a strangers door and ask if they’d phone my breakdown company. Luckily every one of them were kind. One elderly couple made me sit down and have a cup of tea and a biscuit. They wanted me to have a full English breakfast while I waited, but the tea and biscuit was fine. I found out that they’d recently lost their daughter in a car crash. Sure makes you feel good that there are good people around.

  7. Amy Boyer says:

    Haha yep you’re good for at least 3 months. The only other good thing about these incidents is the great stories that come from them. Glad you and the princesses are safe. My husband would have been having kittens if he got a call like that from me.
    P.S. This post is a perfect example of why you are a BlogPaws finalist again.

  8. Yep, no trouble at all until 3 months and 2 days. It’s so good to have family that will help out like that. And thankfully, everyone got home safely.

  9. Was Morgan riding in the front seat?
    When you described the situation, I first thought that you had on Bunny and Flattery, but then you mentioned Morgan. I’m so glad that you didn’t have to get out in the traffic to change tires. Glad that you are all well and that you have ONstar!

  10. Sara Blair says:

    I’ve only had a flat tire once, and I was all alone in the middle of nowhere and was seventeen years old. A state trooper stopped to check on me, must have felt bad for my pathetic self, and he changed my tire for me! BUT, he made sure I watched and gave me all sorts of instructions so that next time I would be able to do it myself. What a nice guy!

    I still dont’ think I could change a tire though, and have AAA.

    Flat tires sure do make for good stories though. Too bad no strippers stopped to help, that would have been an interesting twist!

  11. Emma says:

    Oh man, that is bad! Mom would not change it herself even if she could. She, knock on wood, hasn’t had a flat since college. Scary and frustrating thing, glad you got help and got home safe.

  12. M. K. Clinton says:

    I’m glad that everything worked out well. I abhor car trouble but hubby is usually with me in the car because I hate to drive. You did make an important point about teaching our daughters (&sons) how to do basic car maintenance like changing a tire, checking fluid levels, etc. My husband taught both of our kids how to change a tire, because you just never know when you will have a flat.

  13. All Things Collie says:

    Wow – glad you made it home ok!

  14. genjiscorner says:

    Glad it all turned out well, and was resolved pretty quickly. Since I drive up to 50,000 miles a year for work, I should make sure I know how to get my spare out.

  15. Jan K, Wag N Woof Pets says:

    I’m glad you had someone to call to help you out. That is exactly the kind of thing that happens to me when my hubby is out of town (luckily he doesn’t go out of town much at all). We lease our vehicles because I don’t want to repeat the days of being broken down on the side of the highway with an old vehicle. A flat tire can happen to anyone though, and those new spares they give are always challenging!

  16. BZ Dogs says:

    How miserable! 🙁 And yes, Cosmic Karma maintains that having a service means you’ll rarely use it, while not have service guarentees you’ll need it almost immediately. And often. Glad it had a good and safe ending. 🙂

  17. Dory and the Mama says:

    I think you and the girls handled that wonderfully!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

  18. You handled it awesomely!!!! And, yup, you just bought 3 months of no car trouble!

  19. What an ordeal! You handled it very well, and I’m glad you did not have go to Kappa. This is a good reminder to me to always carry essentials in the car for the doggies in case we are stranded.

  20. Flea says:

    And next time you’ll use the tow truck, right? RIGHT? My Hunny made me change my first flat several years ago. The trick with the bolts is putting your foot on the tool and using your weight to loosen the bolt. I’d still rather call a tow truck.

  21. I feel your pain. I had a flat for the first time in years just a few weeks ago. I have AAA and I still ended up letting a nice truck of guys help me out because I got tired of waiting on AAA after 2.5 hours. At least I didn’t have any of my dogs with me which is a rarity. Glad all ended well.

Comments are closed.